The Mane Street

Will Clinging Ad Pricing Info

Go Back   The Mane Street Forums > General Chat > General Equestrian Chat Forum

General Equestrian Chat Forum This forum is for general equestrian topics and chatter.

Old 08-24-2010 10:48 PM   #1
undead
BANNED

Default ah...ei yei yei....

I just don't get it.

The other day I saw a person riding down the road - no helmet - english saddle - and on their feet were 'gilligan get-away' runners -- you know the flat colourful cloth shoes with flat rubber soles...

As I slowed and drove by giving the pair a good berth - the only thing I could think about was the brain smear left on the pavement if the animal spooked and the rider got hung up in the stirrup...

With all we know today about brain injuries, about crazy moron drivers, about the unpredicability of horses (I don't care how 'bomb-proof, how trusty your steed is - ALL horses spook, bolt, buck and rear - just because they haven't done it under saddle, doesn't mean they wont you just haven't come across something that 'unglued' them YET)

Anyway with all we know today, Why would someone put themselves at risk in such a most foolish manner?
And if they don't care about themselves, what about their horse? What if the horse was then injured, what if the rider dies, what happens to the horse. Having a horse, just like with having a child - we have to make sure we keep ourselves healthy so we can care for and provide for our 'wards'.

Coming home from work the other day my husband also saw a whole group of people riding along the pavement with no helmets. The road they were riding on has a 70 km speed limit, so you know people go 100 along there sometimes.

Perhaps these people are all hoping to be recipients of the 'darwin award'...

given to people who have the human species a service by dying before they reproduce and pass along their 'stupid' genes.
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010 11:03 PM   #2
Horsey Mom
Proud 4H Mom

I am a huge advocate of helmets, proper footwear and correctly fitting tack (for starters). Yet the other day I witnessed a friend leading her kids down the road on their bombproof horse, her kids...doubling in a western saddle....no helmets. Holy Moly... And this woman is not stupid, and she was forced to wear a helmet as a child, so I have NO idea what she was thinking.
Old 08-24-2010 11:06 PM   #3
darlaflack
leg me up

Oh, The stupidity now! We all did that chit when we were kids, but there was no Traffic (or it went about 30K). Very different matter now. I would guess they had been at the local pub (your hubbies scenario). Kids just are stupid, without a tight rein.
darlaflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010 07:29 PM   #4
Malako

I hate riding down the road, even on a completely "bomb-proof", can be hill-billy led out the truck window and has seen it all. Just because of stupid drivers.
My boy friend, who has seen my horse spook over a wheel barrel after seeing it every day of her life randomly, still has the mind set that if you're going to ride down the road, you better be on a horse that won't spook or do anything.
I freaked on him the other night when we passed a guy on his horse riding down the road and he didn't want to slow down below 60km. His reasoning: no one slowed down for him when he would dirt bike down the road and he lived. I had to explain to him that his bike wouldn't throw a random bucking tantrum if a piece of gravel shot up and hit it.
Malako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010 10:56 PM   #5
darlaflack
leg me up

Malako, I will buy the bullet. Shame on your man.
darlaflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010 01:43 AM   #6
horsey_girl

Lol...I have made a personal pledge that the first time that any guy I dates doesn't pass a horse respectfully on a road gets dumped. May be a bad idea 'cause then he might hate all girls on horses, but I figure he (we all) need to be respectful of those that still have to or choose to ride roads to get to places...

As for myself, it took getting bucked off on a road, being unconscious and having a nightmare about car sounds driving on the road (found out two cars passed and didn't stop to help me or my friend) to change my opinion about wearing my helmet. I had one, just hardly ever used it. Now, there has been once or twice when I was half way to the park and said, "oh crap. I forgot my helmet." My freind has been happily shocked by my change of mind.
I did NOT enjoy realizing that I had been unconscious. Had never been before, never want to again. I like my brain where it is and how it works...don't need to loose anymore brain cells or injure myself to the point where a doctor says I'm not allowed anymore because of toomany concussions. Not worth it...I can wear a helmet....easy.
Also, due to that accident I HATE riding down roads (the park is 10 mins away). I hand walk two of my four horses. The other two I ride, but one has been hand walked on occasion. And for about 1/3 of the distance I can get 15 feet away from the road.
And of course always wear jeans and boots.

Last edited by horsey_girl; 08-27-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: typing error
horsey_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010 01:59 AM   #7
a reckless dreamer
Distinguished Member

Doesn't bother me a bit. If it is a parent with a little kid that is another story.
Old 08-27-2010 02:15 PM   #8
Malako

Quote:
Originally Posted by darlaflack View Post
Malako, I will buy the bullet. Shame on your man.
Oh he got a good smack upside the head as soon as we were passed safely. And a big safety lecture. It doesn't help when the only horses he's been in contact with before he started hanging around the barn with me were competitive trail horses with really good minds that have seen it all. I've been bucked off by a road before, and nothing scarier than looking up to see your horse running full tilt towards the highway.
Malako is offline   Reply With Quote