The Mane Street

Ad Pricing Info Will Clinging

Go Back   The Mane Street Forums > General Training > Training - From the Ground

Training - From the Ground Post your ground work questions here, longeing, round pen, ground manners, grooming and more.

Old 03-16-2010 05:03 AM   #1
Ice Girl

Question Urinating in cross ties

This might be a weird question, but I have a new horse that has a habit of urinating as soon as he is put in the cross ties. I have put a bucket under him for now, which works ok, but I am wondering if there is a way I can train him to hold it for a little later. Has anyone attempted this?

Ice Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010 11:44 AM   #2
Norma Jeane
Distinguished Member

That's strange behaviour for a gelding..........mares do it occasionally (heat cycles). Hmmm, does he do this when he comes in from outside? Some horses won't pee outside if they are used to being stabled. If this is the case just try sticking him in a stall for a few before you cross tie him. Usually horses don't like the pee splashing on thier legs and wait for a fluffy place.....
Norma Jeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010 02:30 PM   #3
~Emma~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Girl View Post
This might be a weird question, but I have a new horse that has a habit of urinating as soon as he is put in the cross ties. I have put a bucket under him for now, which works ok, but I am wondering if there is a way I can train him to hold it for a little later. Has anyone attempted this?
Did this horse do a lot of showing? Maybe he was taught to pee there for collection for testing?

Emma
~Emma~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010 04:30 PM   #4
foxfire

My gelding did this a couple of weeks ago, but he just had his teeth done and was still under tranq...so I can't blame him for feeling the very relaxed need to go right then and there I couldn't get to a bucket fast enough, so he flooded the barn.

Normally, I can tell if he has to pee. He dances around like a little kid and gets grumpy. He has finally figured out it is OK to pee outside. Up until a few months ago, he would wait until he was in his stall. Once he realized he might not be inside for a long while, he started to pee in the great outdoors. I think if he could hide behind a tree at the same time, he would

I haven't heard of too many geldings that would pee on the crossties.

I had a mare who would pee anywhere when she was in heat. Then again, she would also tease to anyone/anything, including humans. She is apparently a broodmare now!
Old 03-16-2010 05:24 PM   #5
Bella

I had a gelding that did that every time in the cross ties he didn't care that it splashed every where I always had to have sawdust near by it was kinda a pain but he felt better afterwards My guy was an ex race horse not sure if that had any reasoning behind it or not
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010 01:26 AM   #6
dallaire
Most of my best friends have four legs.

I was going to ask if the horse had been on the track. Because of frequent drug testing some race horses are encouraged to urinate on cue or in a certain place.

When you have come to the edge of all light that you know, and are about to drop off into the darkness of the unknown... Faith is knowing one of two things will happen: There will be something solid to stand on, or you will be taught to fly.
dallaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010 03:22 AM   #7
whistler49

Just brought our new guy home on Saturday - he's a Standie off the track -we think he raced-=and when we had him in the cross ties sure enough he stretched out and peed. Thought maybe it was just a let down after the long trailer ride=but maybe now the racing history may have something to do with it....
whistler49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010 06:58 AM   #8
Ch3vMama
Distinguished Member

Some horses never go in the barn, other's seem to wait until they are in there to do it. There is a mare at the barn I ride at that always pees and poops after her ride. Every day. A gelding I lunge never poops in in the aisle, he always goes in the stall. Another mare seems to make a trail of poop all the way down.

Sometimes they feel more comfortable at certain times and just make a habit of something. I don't know how you would go about training him to hold it in as it's not something I've ever thought of doing! (Beyond potty training my daughter that is... lol)
Old 03-18-2010 01:58 PM   #9
albertacowgirl77

Don't alot of ppl who show their horses teach them not to pee in the ring? Wouldn't it be the same thing? I've been told they just keep a carrot stick and when you see that he's stretching out to pee, you tap him (gently to startle him kinda). Then I would walk him outside or in a stall and let him pee. I dunno... short of rubbing his nose in it. lol.
albertacowgirl77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010 12:58 AM   #10
ashylles

my mare pees in the cross-ties ALL the time. Or at least AS SOON as we're done riding. Once the tack is off (whether taking it off in the indoor for her to have a roll, or in the cross-ties) she goes. The only times she's peed undersaddle is while on a loong trail ride.
It's kind of annoying having to clean up pee. Also kind of nice that she waits until she is done being worked..
I've started to just immediately put her into her stall and then she goes in there.
ashylles is offline   Reply With Quote