The Mane Street

Will Clinging Ad Pricing Info

Go Back   The Mane Street Forums > Horse and Rider Health and Welfare > Equine Nutrition and Health Forum

Equine Nutrition and Health Forum Post your feeding questions, general health concerns and other equine welfare issues here.

Old 03-22-2008 04:22 PM   #1
whiskey_lullaby
Ultimate Member

Default Rescue Remedy for horses...dosing??

I am trying out the herbal supplement Rescue Remedy for my TB but I don't know what the appropriate dosage is for horses. Does anyone know?
Old 03-22-2008 04:51 PM   #2
darlaflack
leg me up

Ask Henry at Pharmasave. I think it is 20 drops, but can't remember.
darlaflack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008 05:15 PM   #3
Raven

Hi TLC,

I've been using RR for both my Arabian and myself. It works well for us when I use one drop for me and about 4 drops on the palm of my hand for her. She will either lick at it or I will rub it around her nostrils. I recognize that I'm probably just as much a part of the problem which is why I do use it myself also.

See ya in the show ring!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008 11:10 PM   #4
MJnEquines
Another Happy Horseowner

What exactly is rescue remedy? i have heard of it but never seen it.
Old 03-22-2008 11:19 PM   #5
darlaflack
leg me up

It's homeopathic. Who knows whats in it?? But it works. (people, horses). We have an awesome place here MJ: Pharmasave in Cloverdale, BC). Henry the main Pharmacist is a guru and they have a Huge section of homeopathic stuff, and horse stuff. I have used RR myself, and on my horses and a friend used it on a filly just B4 a race (major race), just to settle her a bit. She won the race, and she was a ditsy filly. It did not test then, but we sure have to be careful now because of new testing methods and I am not sure if it would??
Old 03-24-2008 04:14 AM   #6
modHoofservant
The Good Fairy

Default Rescue Remedy

Cherry Plum, Impatiens, Rock Rose, Star of Bethlehem and I can't remember the fifth flower essence, but I am pretty sure it starts with a "c". Oh, Clematis. Books are lovely things. I just mixed some up for my barn owner's dog on Friday.

Cherry Plum is for loss of control.
Clematis is for unconciousness.
Impatiens is for stress/impatience
Rock Rose is for panic/terror.
Star of Bethlehem is for shock.

You might also try a blend of Aspen, Chestnut Bud, Larch, Sclantherus and Mimulus.

Aspen: irrational, vague, fears of unknown origin.
Chestnut Bud: not learning by experience, repeat mistakes, inattentive
Larch: lackof confidence
Mimulus: fear of specific or known origin
Sclantherus: restlessness, lack of concentration

Dr. Edward Bach was a doctor in the 1930's who experimented with inducing a feeling in himself, panic, anger, fear, etc, and then chewing on different flowers to see what calmed the feeling to managable levels. He created the original 38 flower essences for the flower remedies. Its interesting how many different regions of the world have different flower essences to do the same things. We use these at work quite a bit. I have one patient who flew her dog on the plane in her carry-one, in his little crate under the seat, with no sedation other than Rescue Remedy. I myself have used it for upset, stress and so on for myself and my animals. Some friends who use it to help calm their dogs during thunderstorms.

As its the diluted essence of a plant, daraflack, it won't show up on a test, so don't worry. The only thing that might is the small amount of brandy its suspended in. That is actually partially why scientifically, homeopathics don't pass studies and tests. Essentially, something is there, but not. The more they are diluted, the better they work, just don't ask me why. However, I usually mix the solutions in some purified water instead, horses and dogs tend to appreciate it more than the bitter alcohol solution.

You can dose the horse with 5-6 drops, up to the whole bottle if you so choose, and it won't hurt the horse. Homeopathics are very safe. I usually start with a loading dose of 5-6 drops, up in the corner of the mouth or under the tongue if I can get it there, every 5-15 minutes for the first hour, depending on the upset/excitement levels. Then ever 30 minutes the second hour, once per hour the third. Of course, this is all depending on the animal. It doesn't hurt to start even a few days before hand to get it into their system, however, its not necessary. That is how I dose with homeopathics and how I was trained, other people dose differently. They should not be exposed to direct sunlight.

If you choose to try aromatherapy, please note that there are many essential oils that should not be injested and are highly toxic, so please be careful where you put them. Also note that offering an aromatherapy to your horse before you put it on them is a very good idea. Lavendar is a very popular therapy for calming, however in up to 30% of the population, human and otherwise, its an aggitant. Chamomile can work better. Also, animals have much sharper senses of smell, so putting an undiluted essential oil on their noses can be way over-board and cause aggitation just because of the excess.

You should also find out if there is a dietary reason why your horse is acting up. A high starch/carbohydrate diet can be the root cause as well.

White Willow Therapies, LLC
Manual Healing and Tension Release Therapy
On-Site Pain, Stress and Tension relief for
People, Horses and Dogs
www.whitewillowtherapies.com

Last edited by Hoofservant; 03-24-2008 at 04:24 AM.
Hoofservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008 01:44 PM   #7
darlaflack
leg me up

Excellent info Hoof!! Thanks. I have lost my book on all that.
Old 03-24-2008 02:43 PM   #8
whiskey_lullaby
Ultimate Member

Wow! Thanks! I am definitely going to try those dosing methods! =)
Old 03-25-2008 12:39 PM   #9
modHoofservant
The Good Fairy

You are welcome. I do all the research and sales at the clinic for homeopathics, nutraceuticals and herbals, so I spend a fair amount of work time looking up this and that, then telling people how to take them.

daraflack, the flower remedies book I have is called "The New Encyclopedia of Flower Remedies" by Clare Harvey. I got it from One Spirit Book Club. Its a world-wide account of all the flower rememdies in use today, their making, uses and their history. So you can get flower rememdies that are more regional to your area, sometimes that can work better. Sometimes it doesn't matter. When I was seriously thinking about becoming a naturopathic physician, I was thinking about focusing on flower remedies and doing research to see what local plants were the equivalant to Dr. Bach's remedies in the instance where I needed something now and the other remedy was not available. However, this book did it all for me. Also, as of late, I have been trending more to my myofascial and pressure point release therapies for horses, which feels like the right path. So, I think that the flower rememdies will be something that I add in as opposed to being the mainstay.

White Willow Therapies, LLC
Manual Healing and Tension Release Therapy
On-Site Pain, Stress and Tension relief for
People, Horses and Dogs
www.whitewillowtherapies.com
Hoofservant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008 12:57 PM   #10
darlaflack
leg me up

Good Stuff HS, Thank you. I think your combined approach is Great.