The Mane Street

Ad Pricing Info Will Clinging

Go Back   The Mane Street Forums > The Mane Street Classifieds > Business and Paid Classifieds > Horses

Horses Please note that replies to threads are not possible in the Classifieds, so please include contact information.

Old 06-02-2006 10:24 PM   #1
NicoleD

Default Mustang Adoptions in Canada

The BLM just accepted our proposal today and we will be going forward with Mustang adoptions in Canada..if anyone is interested in adopting a mustang under the age of 15 please go to our website and fill out the adoption form and e-mail it in for review..

Also include preferred age, colour, gender and height with the adoption form and any questions you may have. Thanks!

Last edited by NicoleD; 06-03-2006 at 05:28 AM.
NicoleD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006 01:17 AM   #2
AdminLauraM
Site Owner

Location: In the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia, USA

Congratulations, Nicole, on being accepted as an official adoption site for the BLM!
Member of North River Back Country Horsemen
Buffalo Gap High School FFA Hippology and Horse Judging Mentor
Certified TREC Instructor
LauraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006 06:36 AM   #3
NicoleD

Thanks LauraM..it was a great honour that the BLM put their trust in us to do a thorough job and place these horses well.

We have been on many horse rescue missions over the years starting with the PMU placements, then the feedlot project, and now embarking on the mustang mission is like a dream come true..I lived in Nevada and have had a good introduction to the breed and have ridden mustangs myself many times as well as involved in some of their training. I have a wild mare on my property right now we are working with and its going really well in fact she has a better temperment than some of the domestics we have had come through our rescue center who arrived with autrocious ground manners.

If our group can help by adopting mustangs to experienced and approved homes we would feel as though we are doing our small part to help determine the fate of these mustangs.
Old 06-04-2006 05:04 PM   #4
NicoleD

I just learned a couple of terms in describing these mustangs and the one's that are most at risk. These mustangs are referred to as 3 strikers meaning they have been passed for adoption three times.

I was curious as to why..my first impression as anyone's would be they must be dangerous but that's far from the truth.

Some are referred to as "dead colour". These are horses that are most at risk of slaughter being the bays and chestnuts. Most people are looking for paint, duns, buckskin or grulla..

The geldings are also at risk as mares are chosen first for breeding.

The yearlings and under 10 yrs. get scooped up quickly along with the Burrow. If a horse does not fall into these categories, they are in a precarious position despite the wonderful temperment, good Spanish or Kiger mustang breeding, conformation and great feet..also at 12 they may be in their prime and that quality would also be overlooked.

The other reason would be people not coming out to the auctions so they aren't seen.

I am in the process of compiling success stories of mustangs that are succeeding in the show ring in all different disciplines after being trained..as well as seeing posts on TMS of happy mustang owners..I hope to be one too some day..they sure came through for us on the 90 mile ride!

Last edited by NicoleD; 06-05-2006 at 07:45 PM.
NicoleD is offline   Reply With Quote