The Mane Street

Will Clinging Ad Pricing Info

Go Back   The Mane Street Forums > Horse and Rider Health and Welfare > Natural and Alternative Health Remedies

Natural and Alternative Health Remedies Post your Alternative Health questions, concerns and information here. This forum covers Massage Therapy, Aromatherapy, Herbs, Light Therapy, Energy Work and more...

Old 08-28-2005 03:59 PM   #1
Malako

I've heard that these two things work well for most horses with arthritis but where do you get them, and how do you feed it to your horse? Do the pills at health food stores work?
I would really like to get his arthritis painless for a couple days so i can start riding him lightly with out feeling bad.
Malako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005 04:02 PM   #2
Frija
Distinguished Member

I know a lady that makes up herbal mixes for people's horses. She has done wonders for my horse! She makes them to specifications that you ask for. If you want her email just PM me. She is NOT expencive at all!!! It is SO worth it to have something made for your horse....

She will tell you which and what would work best for your horses problems.

Anyways, good luck!!

Amie
Old 08-28-2005 08:32 PM   #3
Bella

Yes they work very well for arthritis but you need to feed them in moderation.
Bella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005 03:13 AM   #4
Malako

Okay then, what would be a good amount to start him on?
And like I asked before, do pills from health food stores work?
Malako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005 08:13 AM   #5
Horses Forever

I have been looking for a joint supplement for my horse and came across this very interesting article. It gives you information on White willow's bark and Devil's claw and a few others. I was glad I read it before I decided on a supplement. http://www.equinearthritis.com/jointsupplements.htm
Horses Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005 01:38 PM   #6
Mercedes
Ultimate Member

I would skip the Devil's Claw and go with the White Willow in a tincture form. 25-35 drops twice a day is a good starting dose. Vitamins, minerals and herbs are not dosed by body weight, so a lot of the time it's a guessing game.

You might also like to investigate ginger and/or prickly ash to increase circulation, maybe something like scullcap, possibly vit C and/or magnesium as well as glucosamine (not chrondrotin). There are other herbs as well that work for arthritis, celery seed, yarrow etc... And don't forget homepathics like ruta grav, rhus tox or calc phos etc...

When treating a problem/disaeas/etc... don't just treat the symptoms, treat the entire body. Arthritis is caused by the body over-reacting. You'll have pain, inflammation, heat, possibly constricted vessels, or decreased circulation. There'll be some organ overload and auto-immunie issues and so on. So, pick 4 or 5 'things' that you feel in your gut will work on different facets of the issue.

As to the form of herbs you choose, pick up an herb book. Every herb has several actions, but the form of the herb will determine which actions are more prevalent as well as things like absorption and digestive ability. Forms are; tinctures, raw (use bulk, not capsules), tea, salves, homeopathic, oil etc...

Best of luck!
Old 09-13-2005 03:03 PM   #7
Maxwell Smart

I feed a product called Lakota - It has Devils Claw, White willow bark, etc, in it and works amazingly. Like unbelievably.

I'd recommend it to anyone with a horse who has arthritis... my horse shows a noticable difference when he is off it and when he's on it.

http://www.lakotaherbs.com/english/index.php
Maxwell Smart is offline   Reply With Quote