The Mane Street

Ad Pricing Info Will Clinging

Go Back   The Mane Street Forums > Horse and Rider Health and Welfare > Injury Care and Recovery

Injury Care and Recovery This forum is for the discussion of our horses injuries, and their healing.

Old 06-25-2005 03:51 PM   #1
Comida
Weatherford Wife

My horse has a heel bulb laceration.

I have never dealt with ANY injuries before....so I am seeking as much help/info as possible. Thank you very much.

her wound was stitched, and they applied a fiberglass cast to immobilize the injury
the cast caused rubbing, and had to be removed early.
She was on procillin for 5 days, at 30cc and bute for 4 days, at 2 grams.

We've been using the cast as a splint and bandaging the wound with hibitane.
A full blown infection occured and the stitches blew out. Now, it's an open wound.
It's being hosed once a day, and re-dressed twice a day.
She is back on the bute and procillin, at the same dose/duration.

It's been a week since the injury and it just seems like it's getting worse. I haven't seen ANY improvement. My dressings are always SOAKED with pus and fluids. She's slightly lame, and there is heat and swelling in the leg.

Any ideas?

♥ VT Ibn El Shalyar - 16 y/o reg'd Chestnut Arab gelding
♥ Selenas Legacy - 16 y/o reg'd Black Anglo-Arab mare
♥ Comida - 9 y/o Dappled Bay Draft Cross mare
♥ Allie - 3 y/o Bay Tobiano reg'd Cleveland Bay partbred mare
♥ Star - 2 y/o Black reg'd Cleveland Bay partbred gelding

Comida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005 04:58 PM   #2
Shades

I'm not trying to gross anyone out, but is there anyway U could post pictures or give us a better description. How deep is the cut?? How long is the cut?? How do U think she did it??
I'd cold hose 2 or 3 times a day for about 30 - 45 minutes each time, I think, just to try and cool the area and wash away infection.
I don't think the pus & fluids U are getting is a bad thing. The are coming out of the wound, which is good. I do know that large cuts & injuries take what seems like forever. Our gelding hurt his hock on May 15th, and I'm JUST NOW starting to see the healing.
U might also want to check out www.horsecity.com They have an excellent health forum over there.
Maybe NancyM could answer this.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2005 07:43 PM   #3
Comida
Weatherford Wife

I will try to get you some photos tonight. We'll have to see if I can get my hands on a digital cam.

We think she reared/pawed at the barbed wire fence, got hooked...and pulled.

It's actually 2 cuts, side by side. The skin in between is not viable though. It was stitched, but as I said...the stitches have mostly blown out.

Hopefully I can get some pics tonight and get more help that way. I know it's hard to diagnose without SEEING it.

Old 06-26-2005 06:41 AM   #4
Megan S
Kidding Around!

I'm not sure if it's the same in horses, but I know in humans that pus is not always a bad thing. Same with tenderness and swelling. It's all a sign of healing. Also redness, but I don't think you'll see that on a heel bulb! I don't know if this helps, but I agree with the cold hose and not letting it dry and crack too much. My horses used to get major injuries all the time. As long as the pus drains she should be fine, and antibiotics always help. Good luck!
- Das Sassy Dandy (Andy) 2009 AQHA Gelding
Megan S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2005 06:45 AM   #5
Megan S
Kidding Around!

Wow, wasn't that vauge. Sorry!As they say it always gets worse before it gets better. It's like when you get hurt, you have a real bad time for a week or two, then you start to heal. My mare punctured her hock and she was on penicillen once a day, a drain tube was put in ( which she ripped out the first day ) and cold hosing and some yellow gook in a syringe put into the hole. Gross, but she healed well enough to go back to the trainers in a month. As long as you are consistent and keep it clean things should look up!
Old 06-26-2005 01:22 PM   #6
NancyM
Ultimate Member

Strange that somebody tried to stitch this, they usually simply remove any flap which keeps it more open and draining. Cold hose to clean it out, then soak in epsom salts for 20 minutes or so. Wrap in furacin to promote growth of tissue and to keep clean. Bute and penicillin are great, and will help. Once tissue has grown in (proud flesh) to the level of the skin and forms a "button", stop using the furacin and change to a proud flesh inhibitor, like white lotion (lead acetate), which will tighten the proud flesh down and dry it out, making it heal with less of a scar. It's not a pretty sight, lots of pus and smelly for a while, but these things do heal up in time and with good care.
Old 06-26-2005 03:39 PM   #7
Comida
Weatherford Wife

There is no "flap" to this wound. I wish I could have gotten some photos last night, so you could see. It's like 2 deep cuts, with a bit of flesh in the middle, that we think will just fall off.

It's totally open. My wraps have been SOAKED with pus and fluids...and I worry because of that. It HAS started to close over now though, with absolutely no sign of proud flesh. If I use furacin to promote the growth...and then use a proud flesh inhibitor....aren't I just asking for problems by having it close over so quickly?

Speaking of which....how quickly SHOULD it close over?

and what is "miracle dust"?

Old 06-27-2005 01:09 AM   #8
Megan S
Kidding Around!

We've used "miracle dust" or it was something like it. We found it dried up the wound quickly, but ate away at it. It was on the horses leg though, so it may be different somewhere else.
Old 06-30-2005 06:34 PM   #9
RatherbRidin

I just went through the same thing with my colt . He cut his pastern pretty bad. Fortunately there was a flap so he got stitches, He just missed severing a tendon which we could see when it was cleaned . He was on stall rest for 5 weeks , I had to hand walk him , wash and change his dressings every morning, after about 3 1/2 weeks I scrubbed the area with betadine every day to prevent proud flesh(also what I washed it with everyday) made sure it was dry (very important ) and I appied Derma Gel before re wrapping. I continued to wrap even for the first week he was aloud out.

here are some pictures
He has healed awsome..
EDIT to add , he was on two rounds of antibiotics.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	day_of_cut.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	25370  
RatherbRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005 06:35 PM   #10
RatherbRidin

Day 6
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version