The Mane Street

Will Clinging Ad Pricing Info

Go Back   The Mane Street Forums > Horse and Rider Health and Welfare > Hoof Care and Shoeing

Hoof Care and Shoeing Post your questions regarding Hoof Care and Shoes here.

Old 05-18-2004 03:18 PM   #1
christi
Distinguished Member

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone knew of the approximate amount that a farrier makes per year? I am doing a project of farriery for school and I cant find any numbers on the internet. Any help would be very helpful.
christi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004 04:02 PM   #2
cowboy_bc

Hi all,

Thats an impossible question to answer but here are some examples. The farrier I know the best has a lot of clients and a helper and in the busy months they work at least 6 days a week doing 8 - 12 horses a day @ $95 and knowing how much he works in the winter I'm guessing he brings in $170,000 a year before expenses like truck, shoes and helper etc. There are farriers that people will have flown in to do there horses and I can't imagine what they make. On the other hand I have known farriers that made enough to sit in the pub all afternoon, eat, pay rent and drive a wreck of a truck. I think a good farrier with lots of clients without a helper working 5 days a week could make $60,000 plus.

If it don’t seem like it’s worth the effort it probably isn’t.

If your thinking your a person of some influence then try ordering around someone else’s dog.

Sometimes it's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
cowboy_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004 04:42 PM   #3
christi
Distinguished Member

THANKS!!
christi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004 11:37 PM   #4
Dee
Manure Mucker

I know farriers that can make $1200 a day. On average though it's about $800 a day...and only taking off stagetory*spell* holidays

My precious Parker may you have endless fields to gallop around, friends to pester and enjoy them with and a soft spot to lay down and rest your legs.
May 4th, 2007 - September 16th, 2009
Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004 03:45 PM   #5
hcjfarrier

I made around 65,000 last year. There are a lot of expenses in the job, the tools are really expensive and the work is hard.
hcjfarrier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004 06:28 AM   #6
Appagility
Take me for a Ride

Quote:
Originally posted by hcjfarrier@May 26 2004, 08:45 AM
There are a lot of expenses in the job, the tools are really expensive and the work is hard.
From a business point of view more dollars are earned in the full meal deal.
Shod all round.

Now if we just go out barefoot trimming at $20. to $25. per horse you will have to increase the amount of horses. This will increase the cost of travel to do that and decrease the meer profit.

Some might say that shoeing horses is done to simply make more money?
I should think not. It is done for other good reason.
I wouldn't know how to govern how many clients will barefoot vs how many shod.
It would be hard to predict an anual income. I feel a barefoot trim is too cheap at $25.

If barefoot become's the majority be ready for higher trim costs.
You can't drive around for $25. then charge only $25.
Sweet revenge is telling them to do it themselves if the rider's don't want to pay.

And be ready. It is hard physical labor :angry:
I feel it's time to balance the cost between trims and shoeing's, and bump it up good. A trim only at 1/2 the cost of shoeing.

Trim at $50.
Shoeing at $100.
It's time for Farrier's to gain a little respect.
Be flexible as you may with multiples per stop.
Heck, people are paying Vet's $80. just for consultation.

I have not yet seen a machine with button's and leaver's that can trim a hoof.
You can bet when your forced to retire it will be because your body's crippled.
Thats the real cost in this business. :respekt:
Appagility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004 04:03 PM   #7
equusfire

That's really interesting Appagility, you've given me some things to think about ....

One thing that someone who wanted to make a living doing performance barefoot trims could do maybe was to come twice as much and charge more.. when the horse is first being weaned from a shod state it needs to be trimmed more often anyway.. maybe it could be every four weeks instead of eight, and the charge could be in the 40.0 range for a good performance trim. But you are right about the travel time and expense of gas.. I didn't think about how hard that would be on a farriers pocketbook... maybe they could also act as dealers for a variety of hoof boots.. get them at wholesale prices, fit them to the horse etc. and sell them at retail prices.. that would help a bit financially.
Old 06-04-2004 08:15 PM   #8
Equinextion

Hey Appagility...finally something we can agree on!! (except for the shoeing part as per...)
We teach people to maintain their own horse so we don't have a too large client base...

It "is" hard work...and harder on the body!!
<a href=\'http://www.equinextion.com\' target=\'_blank\'><span style=\'color:green\'><span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\'>EQUINEXTION...True to the Nature of the Horse</span></span>&quot;</a>
Equinextion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004 09:06 PM   #9
rosco
Distinguished Member

definitely hard work! i know i couldn't hack it.

my farrier charges $30 for a trim and he comes about every 6 weeks, maybe a bit longer in the winter. but usually when he is coming someone will post it on the board and he will do a few horses that day. yesterday i think he did about 10
Old 06-04-2004 10:45 PM   #10
sparkels55

I agree and disagree with you. If they travel to do one or two horses for a trim I think they should pay the travel cost, but not just raise the price of trimming. Depending on the farrier, if they make the shoes from scratch or have premade shoes, shoeing take much more time and skill. My horse, who gets trimmed about every 5-6 weeks, cost $25 and takes about 10-15 minutes. My farrier lives two houses down, raising the cost for me would be unfair, plus there are other horses who get done at my barn. My friends horse gets four shoes, made from scratch, $110 and it takes about an hour or a little more. I don't think the cost of trims should be raised for everyone, just those who live far away, and not just for trims, for shoes too.
sparkels55 is offline   Reply With Quote